Skip Navigation Bar
U.S. Army Medical Miscellany Collection 1866-1929
search terms in context | full text File Size: 10 K bytes | Add this to my bookbag

Box | Folder Title
 
Series 10: Gorgas Memorial Laboratory History in Panama, 1929-1990 [series]:

This series describes the history of the Gorgas Memorial Laboratory in Panama from its inception and dedication to the purchases of lands and buildings for the co-sponsored research facility by the United States and the Republic of Panama. There are also original documents on the license and operations of the laboratory explaining the boundaries of lands, purchase agreements and legal deeds. The lands used for gathering information on tropical topography, geography, animals familiar to the region and people of that region investigated became important resources to GML scientists and the use of tropical regions such as those named in the subseries "GML Field Stations" were identified as areas of concern in parasitic diseases. There is also evidence that the GML Director (Panama) was proactive in these contractual agreements, For instance in several of the 'Public Deeds' records Herbert C. Clark is designated as the representative for GML, as well as any comments he made on GMITP's behalf. This is also seen in the folder titled "Background Information" detailing the early conception of the role the laboratory would play in fighting yellow fever, malaria and other parasitic diseases.

The subseries entitled "The Rand Insectary" documents the dedication ceremony for the research building that funds by James H. Rand (Colonial Research Institute) donated to assist GML in providing greater technical and scientific structure to its research center. The insectary building was a facility that had a controlled temperature environment, special lighting, areas for incubation for controlled experiments, and extra laboratory space. The series encompasses activity from 1929-1990, but does not contain the documents of the Fogarty International Center (FIC), which became the managing overseer for GMITP/GML in 1970. The FIC's involvement and history may be found in the series entitled "Fogarty International Center".

 
General Correspondence [subseries]:
25 2-3
1948-1982
25 4
1980-1988
 
GML Dedication [subseries]:
25 5
Dedication of GML in Panama, 1923-1929
25 6
Dedication Program, April 27, 1963
25 7
Guests, 1963
 
GML Status in Panama [subseries]:
25 8
Original Documents of GML Property in Panama, 1931-1946
25 9
Presidents of Panama, 1923-1963
25 10-11
Panama Canal Treaties, 1977-1983
25 12
Mission and Role, 1928-1980
 
Background Information on GML [subseries]:
25 13
1932-1959
25 14-15
1963-1965
25 16-17
1974-1981
 
Licenses to Operate [subseries]:
25 18
Public Deed Number 577, 1929
25 19
Law Number 15, 1932
25 20
Law Number 46, 1953
25 21
Canal Zone License Number 5532, 1972
25 22
Law 84, 1973
25 23
Public Deed no. 4, 1930-1969
25 24
Public Deed Number 4,137, 1990
 
GML Field Stations [subseries]:
25 25
Abgado and Aojeta Islands, 1977-1983
25 26-27
Bayano Project (Maje Island), 1975-1986
26 1
Bayano Project (Maje Island) (cont'd.), 1986-1989
26 2
Gorgas Memorial Laboratory Projects, 1961-1967
 
The Rand Insectary (James H. Rand, President) [subseries]:
26 3
Colonial Research Institute, 1962-1976
26 4
Three-Story Laboratory, 1962-1963
26 5
Dedication Exercises, Rand Insectary, March 4, 1965 [subseries]:
26 6
Program and Speeches, March 4, 1965
26 7
Responses to Invitations, 1965
26 8
Speeches, 1966-1967
26 9
NIAID Staff and Counselors, 1970
26 10
Military Medicine Conference, April 20-23, 1970
26 11
Pamphlets on GML, 1928-1929
26 12
Articles on GML, 1951-1958
26 13-14
Newspaper Articles, 1960-1970
26 15
Newsletters, 1983-1985
 
Site Visits [subseries]:
26 16
July 24-25, 1989
26 17
June 15-21, 1990